Join the Galway Community Circus Team
General Manager Required
Galway Community Circus seeks an exceptional individual to structure and lead the company’s development and build on the exciting opportunities on the horizon.
The role of General Manager is a new position in the company and an opportunity for the position holder to bring their creative and fresh ideas to the table to develop a sustainable future for the organisation. This is a full time role in a busy creative company, and we are seeking a dynamic individual who is keen to work within a growing organisation as we prepare for Galway’s year as European Capital of Culture 2020. The role is broad, with room for development, and it will evolve over time. The successful candidate will be working closely together with the Executive Creative Director, as well as being offered training and development if required.
Who We Are:
Galway Community Circus is Ireland’s flagship organisation for youth and social circus, located in the heart of Galway City with a local, national and international remit. Our mission is to unlock personal and creative potential and deliver social inclusion for young people through circus arts. Through our ground-breaking programmes and high-quality productions, Galway Community Circus has proven itself to be a cradle of artistic excellence and educational innovation in Ireland, working with over 500 young people from diverse backgrounds every week.
This is an incredibly exciting time to join Galway Community Circus as we are exploring innovative new models of creative engagement and are at the forefront of developing youth and social circus in Ireland and internationally. We are producing one of the anchor projects of Galway 2020 European Capital of Culture Programme Wires Crossed - a Balancing Act for Europe. This is a large-scale European project promoting mental and physical wellbeing and community integration through the art of funambulism (tightwire walking). This project gives us an opportunity to create a significant legacy for the young people of Galway, Ireland and Europe.
About the Role
We are looking for a highly motivated and dynamic individual to join our team as a General Manager to help us implement our newly published Strategic Plan 2018-2020 and contribute to a thriving organisation with ambitious plans for the years ahead.
As GM of Galway Community Circus, you will be a critical member of our team. Your work will greatly enhance the organisation, by bringing stability through systems and structures, and is integral in enabling GCC to achieve its ambitious objectives. This is a real opportunity for someone to bring order and stability into the organisation and to do it in a way that works in a collaborative and creative environment.
We are a young, dynamic and growing company with an energetic, motivated and skilled team where people work hard but also get to play, grow and develop. The role is a prominent strategic role in a growing sector, which offers the right person the opportunity to bring their aptitude, leadership and creativity to the development of our organisation at a pivotal moment in our development.
The General Manager will work closely with the Executive Creative Director and the GCC team on the effective delivery of the Galway Community Circus’ artistic vision and strategic organisational development according to Strategic Plan 2018-2020. The GM will lead out with the stabilisation of the organisation while it’s growing and developing - working closely with the ECD particularly in areas of organisational capacity and sustainability as well as having areas of discrete responsibility. The GM will oversee administration, finance, compliance, staffing, all internal and some external communications.
Strategic Planning and Resourcing:
Work with the Executive Creative Director, the Board and the Team in guiding key strategic decisions about the future of the organisation.
In collaboration with ECD:
- Implement Strategic Plan 2017-2020
- Ensure organisation is adequately resourced and all resources are responsibly allocated
- Prepare fundraising proposals to a high professional standard, including monitoring and evaluation reports
- Identify and access new sources of revenue, such as foundation grants and philanthropic partners
Communications and Partnerships:
Develop and nurture excellent relationships with partners, funders and the business and civic community, as well as artists, team members and audiences.
- Represent the organisation within appropriate networks locally, nationally and internationally
- Oversee the internal and external communications of GCC as required and recruit a part-time Communications Coordinator
Working alongside the ECD, and with support from the Administrator and Finance Committee, the GM will be responsible for ensuring that the company and all its projects are managed efficiently from a financial perspective.
- Oversee all project budgets, including tracking of income and expenditure, and the management of contingencies and cash flow
- Provide financial information and scenarios to the ECD, Board and project partners in order to facilitate company planning and ensure the financial viability of the company
- Prepare budgets and financial models for funding applications
In collaboration with the Administrator and the Finance Advisor:
- Produce monthly management accounts for ECD and quarterly financial reports for board
- Liaise with the external accountants with regards to the annual audit and any additional project audit requirements
- Manage of company payroll
- Line-manage Administrator whose role is book-keeping, invoicing and payments
- Seek external expert advice where required
Staff Management & Team Development
In consultation with the ECD, the GM will ensure excellent staff management and support and a team culture where every member of the team thrives.
- Develop and maintain HR systems, policies and procedures, within the frameworks of employment legislation, confidentiality and good practice
- Review and update all staff contracts as required
- Develop and maintain a Company Handbook
- Manage recruitment and review processes and the induction of new staff
- Line-manage the Administrator, Head of Education and Producer
- Line-manage other contracted and freelance staff as required
- Identify needs and design solutions for staff training and professional development in collaboration with ECD
Reporting, Evaluation and Monitoring
The GM will ensure that we fulfil our reporting requirements to Board, funders and stakeholders.
- Ensure that effective mechanisms are in place to comply with expectations of funders and stakeholders
- Ensure that data gathering systems are in place to ensure that we can monitor the reach and impact of all our work
- Ensure that accurate records are maintained at CRO, Revenue and Charities Regulator
- Act as Company Secretary and prepare information for the Board of Directors
Office and Operations Management
- Ensure that adequate office and IT systems are in place to ensure the smooth and efficient running of all GCC projects and to support collaboration within the team
- Ensure all operational, health & safety, insurance and licencing requirements are adequately scoped and resourced as required
- Together with the board and ECD, review and update company policies and procedures regularly according to the Governance Code (GCC became compliant in May 2018)
- Prepare all contracts with external contractors, suppliers, partner organisations and others
- It is the nature of the work at Galway Community Circus that tasks and responsibilities may be unpredictable and varied, the role demands a high level of flexibility
- Actively support and promote Galway Community Circus’ commitment to diversity and equal opportunities in every area of our work
- Report directly to the ECD and act as a deputy director in absence of the ECD
Who You Are
- You are passionate and committed to the values, objectives and vision of Galway Community Circus
- You are a positive dynamic team player with excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- You can solve problems and put plans into action
- You have excellent organisational, administrative, IT and project management skills – you love getting things in order and can make things happen with maximum efficiency
- You have strong leadership ability and the capacity to motivate and manage a team
- You are able to work under pressure, prioritising between conflicting demands and retaining attention to detail while maintaining good humour and diplomacy
The person who can fulfil this role will have:
- Minimum 2-3 years’ experience in a management, administrative or development role ideally in the arts
- Minimum 2 years’ experience of financial management including understanding of cash flow, management accounts and supervision of budgets in excess of €500k
- Experience of programme management across a complex and multi-layered landscape and making the most of limited resources
- Proven ability to organise and prioritise a demanding workload working independently and effectively
- Demonstrable experience of developing and maintaining effective relationships with a wide range of organisations and individuals
- Ideally the person appointed would have a track record in being strategic and resourceful about a company’s future and have experience in the administrative and legal aspects of company management including experience of HR and competency with accounting software (Quickbooks)
Salary: €35,000 per annum
Contract: Full-time, 3 year contract from 1st September 2018
Hours: Standard hours Monday to Friday, but evenings and weekends will occasionally be required for which Time off in Lieu (TOIL) is offered by agreement of the ECD
Location: Galway Community Circus Office, Galway City, Ireland - with occasional travel required across Ireland, and occasional international travel
Holidays: 20 days paid holiday each year in addition to statutory bank holidays
Probation Period: 6-Months
How To Apply
Please email your CV listing two referees (including phone numbers and email addresses) and cover letter outlining your interest in this role and what skills and experience you would bring to Galway Community Circus. Please refer directly to the job description and mark your email “General Manager Application”. Receipt of your application will be confirmed by email and your application will be treated with strictest confidence.
Please submit your application by email to: email@example.com
The closing date for applications is: 30th June 2018
Interviews will be held: 11th of July 2018 (second round 16th of July)
If you need any more information about the role, or have any queries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Galway Community Circus is an equal opportunities employer. All appointments will be dependent on successful Garda vetting.